ACSD Faculty, Staff, Parents, and Members of the Community;
I am putting together Planning Committees for the elementary school/middle school portions of our building project. These will be fixed committees that meet in private with the Superintendent and Design Professionals for the purpose of basic programmatic planning. At a minimum, any volunteers selected will have to commit to the meeting dates/times outlined at the end of this message, however committees will also want to host open community input sessions for which we will need some members of each committee to attend.
We will have 3 Committees: a PK-3 Committee, 4-6 Committee, and 7-8 Committee. As they will be completing the most significant programming and planning, the PK-3 and 4-6 groups will be somewhat large. The 7-8 building programming changes focus more specifically on safety and security aspects of the facility and will therefore not require as large of a team. Specifically, I'd like to recruit the following numbers/types of volunteers for these committees:
- 1 regular education teacher from each current attendance area for each grade level on the PK-3 and 4-6 Planning Committees. 3-5 regular education teachers for the AMS Committee.
- 2-4 special education teachers for each Committee
- 1 special services (i.e. speech pathology, OT, PT) for the PK-3 and 4-6 Committees
- 1 specialist from each area of art, music, and physical education for the PK-3 and 4-6 Committees
- 1-2 administrators for each Committee
- 4-6 parents/community members for each Committee
- 2-4 classified staff (custodial, paraprofessionals, cafeteria)
In addition to these members, each Committee will have at least one Board Member, the Superintendent or his designee, and the District's Owner-Agent. Special guest members may be asked to join based on the content of the conversation at any given point in the process.
If you would like to be considered for an appointment to one of these committees, please send an email with the subject line "Planning Committee" to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your full name and a brief explanation of which role in the list above you would fulfill on the Committee, the Committee for which you have the most interest (you can rank order more than one if you like), and in which elementary attendance area you live if you are a resident of the district.
Please review the list of times/dates below:
- February 6: PK-3 from 4-5:30 p.m., 4-6 from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- February 13: PK-3 from 4-5:30 p.m., 4-6 from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- February 21 Public Input Session after Board Meeting (attend if possible)
- February 27: MS from 3:30-4:30 p.m., PK-3 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. and 4-6 from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- March 6: MS from 3:30-4:30 p.m., PK-3 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. and 4-6 from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- March 21 Presentation/Update @ Board Meeting (attend if possible)
- 2-3 meetings late Spring/Summer related to schematic design (dates/times TBD)
- 2-3 meetings in early Fall related to final design (dates/times TBD)
The deadline for me to receive your request to be considered for these planning committees is Friday, January 18th at 5:00 p.m.
Thomas J. Gibbs, Ed.D.
Athens City School District