The Athens City School District has been offered partial funding by the Ohio School Facilities Commission to update and/or replace district instructional facilities. At the same time, the Athens City School District Board of Education has been working to address fiscal concerns related to the growing costs of operating under the current structure. Keeping in mind the newly adopted Vision, Mission, and Motto of the Athens City School District, the Board of Education wishes to develop a long-term Facilities Master Plan which will assist in strengthening our ability to meet our Vision while also keeping in mind the desire to improve operational efficiency, as well as working within the district’s annual operating budget.
- August: ACS Board appoints Facilities Steering Committee (FSC) and engages Athens Foundation as consultants to facilitate process.
- September: Steering Committee convenes and begins work. The committee will meet twice a month at the Voinovich School at the Ridges
- February 15: Steering Committee’s recommendations received by the Athens City School District Board of Education
Scope of Work for Athens Foundation:
Consultant shall provide the following services to support the Client, as directed by the Client, in the following work:
- Schedule a meeting time that is agreed to by the majority of the steering committee. The committee will meet twice a month and complete a draft recommendation by February 15, 2017.
- Work with superintendent to develop a list of questions to guide the work of the committee.
- Prepare minutes of meetings and deliver to superintendent in timely fashion to be posted on ACS website.
- Schedule a work session with the Board of Education in September 2016 to gain insight and direction about their desired outcomes and what defines success for our engagement.
- Plan a series of bimonthly Athens City Schools Facilities Steering Committee (FSC) meetings and community events. This includes meetings with the Client to plan the FSC meetings, as well as working with the Client to capture the conversations, results, and steps forward from the meeting and delivering a summary document with committee’s recommendations to the board of education.
- Design meetings that will be a highly interactive that will explore principles of group dynamics and methods that capture collective intelligence. The design will include participatory processes such as World Café, Open Space Technology, and Circle Practice.
- Host/facilitate the FSC and other public focus groups.
Preparation/Background: In order to prepare all members of the Steering Committee with the information necessary to fully consider all viable options regarding a Facilities Master Plan, the Athens City School District Board of Education and Administration will provide to members of the Committee the following:
- Ohio School Facilities Commission process and the desired format for a recommended Master Plan.
- District’s current Five-Year Forecast and annual budget.
- Enrollment trends and financial impact(s) of open enrollment for resident students of the District.
- Site Visits/Tours of each existing facility and conversation with the Maintenance Supervisor and Superintendent regarding existing issues/concerns.
- Current facilities assessments from the Ohio School Facilities Commission.
Process: Over the past year there have already been many suggestions made and questions asked that may help to inform the work of the Steering Committee. Our discussions over the next six months will:
- FOCUS COLLECTIVE ATTENTION
- CONNECT IDEAS
- PROPOSE A WAY FORWARD