Harvest of the Month is an opportunity for students to sample local produce during the school day. Next week your child will have the opportunity to participate in a Farm to School Taste Test in the cafeteria during their lunch period to help celebrate National Farm to School Month. Students will be offered a sample of baked sweet potato chips and asked to vote on whether they enjoyed tasting the sample or not.
Through partnerships with community organizations and the school district, we have been working on increasing Farm to School efforts. As the year continues, our partners plan to continue educating students on Farm to School through school garden programming and Live Healthy Kids.
What is Farm to School?
Farm to school enriches the connection communities have with fresh, healthy food and local food producers by changing food purchasing and education practices at schools. Farm to School empowers children and their families to make informed food choices while strengthening the local economy and contributing to vibrant communities. Farm to School implementation differs by location but always includes one or more of the three core elements:
- Procurement: Local foods are purchased, promoted, and served in the cafeteria, as a snack or in taste tests.
- Education: Students participate in educational activities related to agriculture, food, and health.
- School Gardens: Students engage in hands-on, experiential learning through gardening.
Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1.5 lbs of sweet potato
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then cut the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible into rounds.
- Combine olive oil, salt, black pepper, and dried rosemary in a large mixing bowl. Add sliced sweet potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread sweet potato slices into a single layer on the baking sheets, and leave space around them. Bake about 10-12 minutes on each side turning them once, until golden. Remove from the oven and cool the sweet potato chips on for about 5-10 minutes. They will crisp up a little more as they cool.